What’s the going price for a one-bedroom nestled into an elbow in the struts of the Manhattan Bridge? We’ll never know, and that’s probably for the best, but a new exhibit at the Queens Museum in Flushing, New York will at least give you a rough sketch of what that lifestyle might have been like. Never Built New York, curated by Sam Lubell and Greg Coldin and designed by Christian Wassmann, opens today, and features over 150 years-worth of drawings and models of New York City’s boldest, weirdest, long-forgotten building projects. That includes things as well-known Frank Lloyd Wright’s zany sci-fi vision for Ellis Island (his last major drawing before his death in 1959) and alternate mock-ups for the Freedom Tower, as well as lesser-known daydreams that never got anywhere close to off the ground, like William Zeckendorf’s 1946 plan for a $3 billion airport stretching over 40 blocks of the Hudson River and into Midtown Manhattan. Or, even weirder, Raymond Hood’s 1925 concept for solving a housing crisis by fitting 50-story skyscrapers into the city’s bridges. Pieces of the exhibit were pulled from about 40 public and private archives, including the Library of Congress, MTA records, various New York… Read full this story
- New York Times Expands TV, Podcast Effort After ‘Daily’ Success
- Cocktail soirées and Central Park views from every room: The Viceroy New York's Suite 57
- Trump Tower fire in New York leaves pensioner dead and four firefighters injured
- Mexican drug kingpin charged in New York with trafficking enough fentanyl to kill 10 million people
- Gone glamping: Luxury tents offer an indulgent retreat in the shadow of New York City
- Gisele and sports star husband Tom Brady sell their lavish New York apartment for £10.5 million
- Where is Prescot and why did the New York Times call it a ‘casualty of Britain’s age of austerity’?
- How to do a day trip to New York City from the UK and still see all the sights
- ‘It’s like a prison’: Immigrant mother describes weeks-long hideout inside New York church to avoid deportation
- Man, 67, killed in raging fire at Trump Tower in New York
Never Built New York is a fascinating look at the wild ideas on the city’s cutting room floor have 349 words, post on www.theverge.com at September 17, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.