The parade in Jonesport, Maine on Saturday, July 1 probably isn’t the longest one in the history of the world, but it certainly feels like it. Seven 18-wheelers that usually transport lobsters to faraway places roll slowly down Main Street, honking their horns in a triumphant, discordant chorus. Slightly terrifying clowns thread their way through a string of American-made convertibles which carry girls wearing gauzy princess dresses. Each one is vying for the title of Little Miss Fourth of July and waving like a tiny Queen of England. This was supposed to be the celebration following the World’s Fastest Lobster Boat Races, but those have been postponed a day thanks to the thick fog that refuses to lift from the harbor. The parade and fireworks couldn’t be pushed back: the town already paid for the show, and the pyrotechnics guys won’t reschedule. This evening — meant for winners to gloat and losers to drown their sorrows in cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon — has instead turned into a bizarre precursor to the main event, races the locals have been waiting for all year. The lobstermen who make up this strange party compete all summer long on a race circuit that… Read full this story
- Dairy farmers, specialty crop growers see most Maine aid
- Horse racing to return this month as sport ramps up post-coronavirus plan
- Rare Shark Sighting Off Wells, Maine Creates Concern For Swimmers
- Syndicate manager hits out at on course experience for racing owners with Covid-19 rules
- NYC mayor forms race commission, sets Juneteenth holiday
- Maine Democrat Challenging Susan Collins Outraises GOP Senator by Millions
- Susan Collins Trails Challenger in Race That Could Give Dems the Senate
- Republican Senators Trail Democratic Challengers in Arizona, Iowa, Maine and North Carolina
- Love Island's Anna Vakili sets pulses racing in red lace lingerie as she shares sizzling snaps... after returning from her sunny getaway in Cannes
- David and Victoria Beckham 'face a race against time to add controversial lake to their £6m Cotswolds estate... or face delay until NEXT summer'
Racing the past in Jonesport, Maine have 331 words, post on www.sbnation.com at August 10, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.