About 200 people commandeered Wednesday’s Phoenix City Council meeting to rail against city leaders and vent frustration over the Phoenix Police Department’s crowd-control tactics during President Donald Trump’s Aug. 22 downtown rally.The individuals came to the meeting to criticize an independent investigation of the police action, which ultimately was canceled Wednesday night. But many in attendance also took the opportunity to lambaste the Police Department and the council’s lack of action.Thousands descended on downtown last week to hear Trump speak inside the Phoenix Convention Center. Thousands more protested outside.Although protests were largely peaceful, the night ended with Phoenix police deploying teargas, pepper balls and foam projectiles.The crowd that took over the council chambers Wednesday was raucous and visibly frustrated. One group of young women wore shirts stating, “I was tear-gassed for exercising my right to peacefully assemble.”When council members tried to restore order and turned off the public microphone, members of the crowd began yelling their comments. Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton at one point recessed the meeting. One man called out, “You’re a chicken, Stanton,” while others chanted a loud refrain of “Shame on you.”Minutes later, the mayor came back and allowed the protesters to keep airing their comments to the council.Redeem Robinson called Stanton cowardly for walking away… Read full this story
- The Lurking Menace of a Trump Rally
- What Is the Point of a Trump Rally in 2018?
- Irish activists pledge to protest against Donald Trump visit
- 'Baby Trump' balloon slashed and deflated at protest outside of Trump's visit at Alabama-LSU football game
- White nationalist leader pleads guilty in Trump rally case
- In Atlanta, Trump rallies black supporters ahead of 2020
- "Print his name!": At Trump rally, Rand Paul urges media to reveal the whistleblower
- 'Saturday Night Live' Mocks Trump Rally, With Appearances by 'Bill Clinton' and 'Lindsey Graham'
- Trump Rally Crowd Launches Into ‘Send Her Back’ Chant Over Ilhan Omar
- Thousands Set To Protest Minneapolis Trump Rally, as President is Warned It's 'Just Another Stop Along The Road To Impeachment'
Protest of police conduct at Trump rally upends Phoenix council meeting have 346 words, post on www.usatoday.com at August 30, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.