The cast of “Glee Vietnam” was announced on Monday, but the excitement of seeing a local touch to the award-winning series of high school dreams and drama has been met with a lot of questions.
“So who’s gonna sing?”
That was one of the mixed reactions to the introduction, which met with more criticism than praise.
Many people do not believe the Vietnamese cast, which includes the runner-up of the “Vietnam Idol” singing contest in 2015, can deliver a version that comes close to the American musical, which was a big hit in Vietnam.
And it’s not just the singing. Vietnamese have little faith in the acting ability of local stars. Some have already said they doubt they will be able to find their favorite Rachel, Quinn or Sue Sylvester in the new cast.
“I don’t think the director has watched the original,” a fan wrote on the official Facebook page of Glee Vietnam.
“This is like a slap in the face for Glee,” another fan wrote.
Cuong Dang, a Glee fan, said part of the hatred comes from their love of the original.
“Glee is a reflection of people growing up. It is something that inspires them to let their talents shine, regardless of physical appearance, gender or racial differences,” he said.
“I expected more.”
The Fox show was first aired in May 2009 and quickly became a phenonmemon, featuring numerous big-name guest stars such as Britney Spears, Gwyneth Patrow and Ricky Martin.
The show brings together a group of ambitious misfits who try to escape the harsh realities of high school by joining a glee club, where they find strength, acceptance and their voice, while working to pursue dreams of their own.
In 2011, it won a Golden Globe for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy, and an Emmy for Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series.
There have been concerns about how the Vietnamese remake will deal with delicate matters such as suicide, bullying and sexuality, which rarely make it onto local screens, at least successfully.
Director Nguyen Phan Quang Binh said the crew wants to make changes to the show to make it suit local culture.
Binh said some changes are necessary because otherwise fans could just watch the original.
“I hope Glee lovers will welcome the changes,” he said.
The first season with 22 episodes will air this August. No details about the production or copyright costs have been revealed.
- Jennifer Aniston, 50, ditches her bra for VERY perky look as she hits SAG Awards red carpet... before THAT epic reunion with ex-husband Brad Pitt
- 'Glee' Cast Tops Elvis Presley for Most Hot 100 Hits
- An Exhaustive Guide to Who’s Remaking Your Favorite Comedies
- Fall TV 2019: Ranking all the trailers, from best to worst
- Festive air muted as violence-hit village limps back to normalcy
- Peacock Announces New Shows From Amy Poehler, Mindy Kaling & More!
- Netflix’s “Cheer” Shows How Transformative Cheerleading Can Be
- “Cheer” Captures What It Really Felt Like To Be A Cheerleader
- Heads of the Class: Drake Ties 'Glee' Cast for Most Billboard Hot 100 Entries Ever
- 5 TV trends to retire in 2020
- Why so cheerful? Prince Andrew is seen smiling as he leaves Buckingham Palace in his £220,000 Bentley as Megxit crisis rumbles on
- The Craft Remake Finds Its Lead Witch in Bad Times Star Cailee Spaeny
- 'Kung Fu' Movie Remake in the Works From 'Hobbs & Shaw' Director David Leitch
- Toby Kebbell Talks Ben-Hur, Chariot Races & Remakes | EXCLUSIVE
- Chucky TV Show Brings The Killer Doll Back To Screens
- SAG Awards: Jennifer Aniston Lands Apple TV Plus Its First Major Hollywood Win
- Streaming wars: NBC takes on Netflix and Hulu with Peacock which offers a free version and subscriptions starting at $4.99 a month and features Premier League matches, Battlestar Galactica reboot and classics like Cheers
- Love Island fans slam bosses' decision to keep Ollie amid 'game-hunting' claims
- Pussycat Dolls PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Nicole Scherzinger flashes her washboard abs as she joins the girl group for a VERY raunchy rehearsal ahead of their reunion tour and comeback single
- Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant talk up The Undoing as they attend the TCA Winter Press Tour along with Winona Ryder and Issa Rae
Vietnamese ‘Glee’? Cheers and jeers as remake of hit TV show announced have 676 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 27, 2017. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.