During the 2009 college football national championship, University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow painted “John 3:16″ under his eyes. As a result, some 94 million people Googled the verse.”For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life,” is what they found.The verse, which refers to the core Christian belief that God sent his son Jesus Christ to live and die as a human in order to grant eternal life in heaven, is considered by many to be the best simple summation of the Christian faith found in the Bible.It also has a legacy in sports, where not only Christian fans are familiar with the words “John 3:16.”Sports media exploded when in one game Tebow threw for 316 yards and averaged 31.6 yards per pass.Stone Cold Steve Austin, a popular professional wrestler, appropriated it into a catchphrase (“Austin 3:16″) that became one of the genre’s most popular, alongside “Can you smell what the Rock is cookin’?”But this week, it surfaced in a less uplifting venue.Massachusetts State Police revealed that Tebow’s teammate during that championship game, former NFL player and convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez, had written… Read full this story
- USA TODAY Archives: Aaron Hernandez honors father's memory with tattoos
- Life and death of Aaron Hernandez: 'There was so much anger'
- Mass. Appeals Court likely to vacate Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction
- Aaron Hernandez: How he spent his four years in prison since murder conviction
- Aaron Hernandez: What we know on day of his death
- Aaron Hernandez lawyer: 'Determined to find truth ... about untimely death'
- Ex-Patriots player Aaron Hernandez, 27, found hanged in prison cell
- Aaron Hernandez's death brings chilling end to tragic story
- Ex-Patriots star Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE, examiners conclude
- Aaron Hernandez's lawyer says family will donate his brain for research
John 3:16, sports and Aaron Hernandez have 299 words, post on www.chicagotribune.com at May 5, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.