Royce and Keri Young welcomed their second child — a little girl — earlier this week, but were forced to quickly say their goodbyes as the infant died due to a rare, deadly disorder.
“We said hello and goodbye to our sweet Eva yesterday,” Keri wrote of her daughter alongside an Instagram photo of herself and her family in a hospital bed. “She was so perfect in her own little way.”
The Oklahoma couple made headlines earlier this year after revealing that they had decided to carry their daughter, Eva, to term, despite the fact that she’d likely only live for just a few hours.
The Youngs learned in December that Eva had Anencephaly, a rare condition in which an infant is missing the cortex of their brain. However, Keri planed to carry the child to term, and donate the baby’s organs to children in need.
“She’s gonna do more in her 24 hours or whatever than maybe we’ll ever do in our lives,” Royce told ABC News in a March interview on Good Morning America. “To be able to remember our daughter in that way is pretty powerful.”
In the Instagram photo, Keri sported a big smile as she held what appeared to be little Eva wrapped in a blanket. Beside her, Royce sat with a grin while he held the couple’s young son.
Royce shared a sweet photo of his own, uploading a black-and-white Instagram shot of himself holding the baby.
“We said hello and goodbye to our sweet Eva Grace yesterday,” he wrote. “Eva Grace Young — 4-17-17.”
The couple’s story made headlines after Royce, a writer for ESPN, officially opened up about the situation in a Facebook post in February.
He uploaded a photo of his sleeping wife alongside the lengthy post about his unborn daughter, writing, “A lot of people say things like, ‘I wouldn’t change anything’ after a trying circumstance, but I’m not about to say that. I would definitely change this if I could. I want my daughter to be perfect.”
Keri and Royce told ABC that they considered terminating the pregnancy, but decided against it.
“You can be the most pro-life person in the world but until you sit there and you hear those words and you look at your future going forward, that’s when you gotta face the reality and make your own decision,” Royce said.
So, the family decided to donate the little girl’s organs, with the father telling ABC: “There’s another family out there hoping that their baby’s gonna get a kidney, knowing full well that that means that somebody else is gonna have to go through heartbreak. ”
- Pregnant mother who bravely chose to carry her terminally ill daughter to term so she could donate her organs gives birth to the baby girl and is forced to say goodbye to her moments later
- 'Healthy' mum is diagnosed with rare stage four cancer six weeks after giving birth to her baby girl - and reveals the simple warning signs everyone should be aware of
- Woman told she was infertile after chemotherapy gives birth to 'miracle' son
- 'Aggressive' mum-to-be, 20, told she'll give birth behind bars after crime spree
- Woman, 30, gives birth to 'miracle' son after recovering from cancer that doctors said was terminal and being told chemotherapy had left her infertile
- Grandmother gives birth as surrogate for her son and his husband
- Woman with terminal cancer feels 'abandoned by Stormont'
- Woman who didn’t know she was pregnant gives birth 20 MINUTES after being rushed to hospital with back pain
- Labour of love: the volunteers helping fellow refugees give birth
- Dad Helps Save Baby Girl Using a Shoelace after Woman Gives Birth in Car Backseat
- Mum gives birth to ‘pregnant’ baby who needed emergency C-section at just one day old
- Mum 'back to normal' just three days after giving birth at home - thanks to pole dancing
- Fifty-year-old grandmother who has become Britain's oldest mother of quadruplets reveals she ignored doctors' advice to get rid of two of the foetuses - before giving birth to three healthy girls and a boy 31 weeks into her pregnancy
- Mum's maternal instincts that baby 'wasn't right' saved newborn's life
- Kimberly Mays, who was switched at birth in a Florida hospital in 1978 speaks out 30 years on from being told her REAL identity - as her heartbroken biological siblings reveal their pain at the death of Arlena, the infant she was changed with in an ABC spe
- Preterm babies: Causes, risks and preventive measures
- My ex-girlfriend blackmailed me for £30,000 after pretending to have my baby
- Woman swapped at birth fears she was taken DELIBERATELY by her fake parents who wanted a healthy baby
- How desperate women denied abortions in Kenya are using COCA-COLA to kill their babies by feeding unwanted newborns fizzy drinks instead of milk, say human rights activists
- Woman switched at birth reveals biggest regret
Woman Carrying Terminally Ill Baby to Term Gives Birth: 'We Said Hello and Goodbye' have 828 words, post on people.com at April 21, 2017. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.