Jordan Peele’s comedy-horror hybrid Get Out has struck a raw nerve with US moviegoers. Made on a slim budget of $4.5m, the film took in $33.3m on its opening weekend in late February, charging to the top of the box-office charts and making Peele the first black director to have a debut movie earn $100m. At a time when unabashed racism is rearing its head in various grotesque shapes – from “alt-right” trolls to the KKK’s fanatical support of Donald Trump’s discriminatory proclamations and executive orders – its success suggests that audiences are hungry for more nuanced explorations of the complex depths of racial prejudice. Its star, Daniel Kaluuya, is keen for more, too. “It speaks to all the subconscious stuff that I’ve felt, growing up as a black man in the industry,” he says of his breakout film. He talks in a rapid, north London baritone down the line from Atlanta, where he’s currently shooting Marvel’s forthcoming The Black Panther. “It’s not overt. The narratives we usually see within the boundaries of television or film are extreme racism. People [think] racism is something you do as opposed to something you believe, like: ‘I’m going to go out of my… Read full this story
- The best horror movies on Amazon Prime right now
- Nick Simon Sets New Remotely-Filmed ‘Untitled Horror Movie’ Starring Luke Baines, Claire Holt, Darren Barnet, Emmy Raver-Lampman And Kal Penn
- Is this the world's coolest tween? 12-year-old poised for movie stardom calls Cara Delevingne a friend and models for Ralph Lauren... but says he'll never go off the rails
- The MCU Becomes a Horror Movie in Fan-Made Infinity Saga Trailer
- Hereditary trailer: will this be the year's scariest movie?
- 'Ink Master' Star Daniel Silva Arrested For Murder After Crash Kills YouTuber Corey La Barrie
- MTV Does Away with Gendered Categories at This Year’s MTV Movie & TV Awards
- ‘You Should Have Left’ is a horror movie about the impossibility of escape. Imagine that
- Straight To Digital Release "Nothing But A Strength," Says New Blumhouse Horror Movie Director
- Shudder's Cursed Films Docuseries Will Explore Cursed Horror Movie Sets
Get Out star Daniel Kaluuya: ‘This is 12 Years a Slave: The Horror Movie’ have 349 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 18, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.