In what is apparently the first instance of a big-budget superhero movie featuring an LGBTQ protagonist, a character in the new Power Rangers movie briefly hints that she might be sexually attracted to women.
The moment comes toward the end of the film, according to director Dean Israelite, who spoke to The Hollywood Reporter on Monday:
“[T]here’s a scene in which the titular heroes learn that the Yellow Ranger Trini (Becky G) is coming to terms with her sexual orientation, with one character assuming she’s having ‘boyfriend problems,’ and soon realizing that perhaps she’s actually having ‘girlfriend problems.’ It’s a small moment, but one director Dean Israelite calls ‘pivotal’ for the entire film.”
It’s a small step, but an important one, especially considering that David Yost, an openly gay actor who played the original Blue Ranger in the ’90s series eventually left after being harassed over his sexual orientation. Yost told THR that those involved in the new movie, “really stepped up to the plate. I think so many people in the LGBTQI community are going to be excited to see that representation.”
Israelite told THR that Trini, “hasn’t fully figured it out yet. I think what’s great about that scene and what that scene propels for the rest of the movie is, ‘That’s OK.’ The movie is saying, ‘That’s OK,’ and all of the kids have to own who they are and find their tribe.”
[via The Hollywood Reporter]
- Goldar Revealed in Power Rangers Movie Toy Video
- Power Rangers Introduces First Big Screen Gay Superhero
- Power Rangers Movie Goldar and Putty Patrol Details Revealed
- New Power Rangers Movie Takes Place in TV Show Continuity, More Big Details Revealed?
- Power Rangers Set Photos Show Alternate Rita Repulsa Costume
- Power Rangers Trailer #2 Unleashes Zordon, Goldar & the Megazord
- Former Power Rangers Star Pleads Guilty to Killing Roommate with a Sword
- Take A Tour Through Power Rangers History With This Steeply Discounted Art Book
- The Batman TV Spinoff on HBO Max Is a Prequel to the Movie
- Here's How You Can Be in the Han Solo Movie
- 12 Movies to Prepare You for Nuclear War with North Korea
- First Dune Footage to Arrive in Movie Theaters with Inception Rerelease This July?
- Poe Will Return in a New Star Wars Movie Only When Oscar Isaac Needs Another House
- Kingpin Will Not Return in Future Spider-Man Movies
- Zendaya and BlacKkKlansman's John David Washington filmed a secret movie in quarantine with Euphoria creator Sam Levinson
- Black Widow Movie Gets a Writer, Is It Finally Happening?
- Zendaya and John David Washington Shot a Secret Movie While in Quarantine
- New Halloween Movie Begins Shooting in Original Haddonfield Location?
- The best fantasy movies on Netflix
- Famous Jurassic Park dinosaur the Dilophosaurus 'was bigger and more powerful' than the 1993 film shows - but it couldn't spit venom, new fossils reveal
First Queer Power Ranger to Appear in Upcoming Movie have 465 words, post on jezebel.com at March 20, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.