Email By business reporter Stephen Letts Updated January 20, 2017 16:48:01 Photo: Many analysts doubt the reliability of China’s remarkably consistent GDP data. (Reuters) Related Story: China surprises with 6.8pc economic growth Map: China To the absolute surprise of no one, Chinese economic growth came in at an annualised growth rate of 6.7 per cent in 2016.There was a moderate surprise that annualised fourth quarter figure came in at 6.8 per cent, but not enough to shift sentiment significantly.By happy coincidence the 2016 result not only lines up with President Xi Jinping’s call at the World Economic Forum in Davos that it would be thereabouts, but also is right in the middle of the 6.5 to 7 per cent target band drummed up at the National People’s Congress in March last year.The quality of Chinese GDP data is often questioned, given the National Bureau of Statistics can pull together all the threads of the world’s second biggest economy into a coherent narrative just three weeks after the quarter ends.The admission this week from the boss of Liaoning province that the GDP books for his steel and coal-dominated jurisdiction had been cooked for years has not helped matters.The National Audit Office… Read full this story
- GDP revisions put China on target to double economy, but data doubts remain
- China revises up nominal 2018 GDP, moves step closer to doubling size of economy
- Q2 GDP print, F&O expiry among top triggers driving D-St next week
- Simon Cheng: Former UK consulate worker says he was tortured in China
- Xi Jinping says China open to foreign business amid economic reforms
- Can India and China go to battle?
- How China's ire put global spotlight on Hong Kong activist Andy Chan
- Xi Jinping says Taiwan 'must and will be' reunited with China
- Five years on, Xiplomacy is reshaping China's global role for a better world
- China's big push for its global trade narrative
China's questionable GDP numbers: Why does it even bother? have 309 words, post on www.abc.net.au at January 20, 2017. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.