Members of the Ventura County County Junior Golf Association went on the road to take on a team from Future Champions Golf in San Diego in the fourth annual North-South Cup, which is played between the two junior golf organizations.
This year’s event took place at the Westin Mission Hills Resort in Rancho Mirage.
The VCJGA team came through with a 6.5-5.5 victory.
VCJGA director Mark Wipf said the first day began with cool temperatures and strong winds that made the Pete Dye layout difficult. The first day featured a fourball format.
Camarillo’s Joey Zambri and Oaks Christian standout Blake McGovern got the VC team off to a strong start by posting a 1-up win. Charissa Shang of Calabasas and Camarillo’s Catherine Rao also earned a 1-up vicotry. Both teams won their matches on the final hole.
Casey Leebrick of San Luis Obispo and Palmdale’s Kris Stiles managed to earn a half-point with a tie.
The FCG finished the first day with a 3.5-2.5 lead.
The weather for the final day was sunny with light breezes, giving Wipf and his team a good feeling heading into the alternate-shot format.
Thousand Oaks standout Seldon Doyle teamed up with Ethan Davidson of Woodland Hills to beat their opponents 3&2 and Leebrick and Stiles earned a 5&4 win.
Maverick Pavletich of Bakersfield and Santa Barbara’s Issac Stone had a back-and-forth match in which they secured a key point for the VCJGA.
With a few matches left, San Luis Obispo’s Isabel Carpenter and Gabby Minier of Goleta rallied from down three to win 1 up to clinch the cup for the VCJGA.
After the two teams shared the title in the first year, the VCJGA has won the cup three straight times.
Members of the VCJGA team were: Ethan Davidson, Seldon Doyle, Casey Leebrick, Blake McGovern, Maverick Pavletich, Kris Stiles, Isaac Stone, Joey Zambri, Isabel Carpenter, Gabriella Minier, Catherine Rao, and Charissa Shang.
The Buenaventura Senior Men’s Golf Club hosted a four-man Texas Scramble Tournament at Buenaventura Golf Course.
The A Flight’s low net score of 56.64 was posted by the team of Steve Brown, Hannu Haarma, and Conrad Conway.
The B Flight’s low net score of 54.55 was posted by the team of Robert Deyling, James Barnes, Philip Cole and George Rose.
At a luncheon after the tournament, BSMGC members donated $375 to the United Way Thomas Fire Fund. Two longtime members lost their homes and personal property in the fire.
Vicki Shallenberger scored a hole in one on the 105-yard third hole at the Vineyard Golf Course at River Ridge. Shallenberger used a 6-iron to record her perfect shot. Witnesses were Cathy McNabb and Peggy Strople.
Super Bowl skins
River Ridge is hosting a Skins Game on Sunday morning prior to kickoff of the Super Bowl between the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles. The competition will start at 8 a.m.
Regular green fees apply. Players can sign up as teams or individuals.
Players competing in the net division must have a valid handicap. Buy-ins are $20 for net, $20 for gross and $5 for closest to the pin. Men will play from the white tees and women from the red tees.
To register, call 805-983-4653, ext. 2.
- World Cup play-offs, final qualifiers and friendlies: 10 things to look out for
- World Cup 2018: fans from around Europe preview the play-offs
- Kevin Harvick wins as NASCAR returns with race at Darlington
- Grichuk hits 3-run HR, Jays beat Chicago to snap 5-game skid
- World Cup 2018, Brazil vs Mexico Highlights: Brazil Beat Mexico 2-0 To Enter Quarter-Finals
- World Cup 2018: Holders Germany Eliminated From Tournament After Loss To South Korea
- World Cup 2018: Tequilas For Korea Republic As Mexico Fans Mob Embassy After German Upset
- On this day in sport: Mourinho's Inter complete treble, Rugby World Cup debuts
- Injured Jeje to miss Kings Cup as Stimac names 37 probables for camp
- World Cup 2018: which teams have made it to Russia?
- World Cup questions: why did gifted England not beat Argentina in 1998?
- Russia passes Confederations Cup test but hosts need a team to rally behind
- Every NL team's biggest 'what if' of the 21st century: Steve Bartman, A-Rod as a Met and more
- World Cup 2018: Goals, tears and earthquake alerts on the road to Russia
- San Jose State women advance to Mountain West tourney semifinals
- Where are England's 2010 T20 World Cup champions now?
- World Cup draw: Ronaldo to face familiar foes as Portugal lands Spain
- FMIA: ‘Just Figure It Out, Bro’—How The NFL’s Most Challenged Team Is Handling Distance Learning Reality
- World Cup 2018, Mexico vs Sweden Highlights: Sweden Beat Mexico 3-0 To Top Group F
- How Eddie Jones transformed the England Rugby team - first year in charge 2016
VCJGA golfers beat San Diego team to win North-South Cup again have 771 words, post on www.vcstar.com at August 14, 2016. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.