The man challenging Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour leadership is virtually unknown outside Westminster. So who is Owen Smith?We know who he wants to be. The great unifier. A political miracle worker who can unite Labour’s warring factions to win a general election many in the party think will happen sooner rather than later, whatever the new prime minister says. He says he wants to “save the party” and prevent it from what he fears would be a catastrophic split.And we know how he would like to be seen – a more voter-friendly version of Jeremy Corbyn, with similar “radical” left-wing values but a fresh, modern face.But what about the man himself? His campaign launch – tieless, immaculate white shirt, flanked by his family and a youthful band of supporters – could have come straight from the Cameron/Blair playbook. But his big idea – rewriting Clause IV of the Labour constitution to include a specific commitment to fight inequality – is designed to be a break with the Blair era.He is proud of his Welsh roots. He was born in Morecambe, Lancashire, but grew up in South Wales, and was recently described by the Guardian, as a fully paid-up member… Read full this story
- What Do You Expect From Jonah Hill? How About ‘Director’?
- Which MPs are supporting a second EU referendum - the cross-party politicians backing a second Brexit vote
- Waiting for his time to come: WKU's Taywan Taylor prepares for NFL call
- Sen. Bob Corker will not seek re-election next year
- Nashville's Schermerhorn Symphony Center listed as one of nation's most spectacular theaters
- Every must-see horror film in 2019, from Jordan Peele's 'Us' to Stephen King's 'It' sequel
- Hundreds of South Texas children rang in Christmas a little brighter, thanks to you
- Ryan Gosling's 'First Man' gets liftoff with stellar reviews at Venice Film Festival
- SXSW: Olivia Wilde, Seth Rogen, Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey to Premiere New Work
- Tribeca Film Festival Unveils Feature Lineup, With Screen Time For John DeLorean, Muhammad Ali, Chelsea Manning
Profile: The Owen Smith story have 329 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at July 21, 2016. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.