Jose Mourinho enjoyed a raucous reception as he watched a charity match from the stands on Sunday in his first appearance at Old Trafford since being named Manchester United manager.
MANCHESTER: Jose Mourinho enjoyed a raucous reception as he watched a charity match from the stands on Sunday (Jun 5) in his first appearance at Old Trafford since being named Manchester United manager.
Just nine days after the official confirmation of Mourinho’s appointment, the 53-year-old was in Manchester to give his support to Unicef, who use the Soccer Aid friendly to raise money for children in danger across the world.
The former Chelsea boss originally agreed to manage an “England” team consisting of former internationals, musicians, actors and other celebrities, against a Rest of the World team coached by Leicester’s Claudio Ranieri and featuring a host of retired legends.
But, following his move to United, Mourinho decided to save his first game on the home bench for the club’s clash with Everton in Wayne Rooney’s testimonial on Aug 3.
Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce took care of the match-day management duties instead, while Mourinho watched from the directors box as England won 3-2.
“I’m sorry I couldn’t be more involved tonight, but I’m so happy and involved at the beginning of my job at Manchester United that all the time I have right now is working time,” Mourinho wrote in the match programme.
“But I love the boys at Soccer Aid so much – the atmosphere and especially the cause – that I couldn’t be away on the day of the game.”
Plenty of fans were waiting outside Old Trafford to greet Mourinho when he got off the England team bus and some in the stands held aloft signs and banners bearing his name.
Mourinho, hired to replace Louis van Gaal on a three-year deal, was given a loud reception from supporters, some of whom snapped up scarves emblazoned with the new United manager’s name and face, and it didn’t take long for the Portuguese to make himself at home.
Pele was Unicef’s guest of honour and Mourinho posted a photo on his Instagram account of him and the Brazil legend as they shook hands in front of a Manchester United badge in the players’ tunnel.
The caption to Mourinho’s photo read: “An honour to host Pele at my new house” and he also posted a picture of himself standing in the tunnel looking towards the pitch.
Mourinho gave an interview to ITV before kick-off, but his microphone broke before he could get into full flow.
“I’m very happy to be here, and especially alongside Ranieri, who won the Premier League, and Sam, who saved Sunderland from relegation,” Mourinho said. “It’s a shame I’ve really not had a chance to enjoy this season as much as they did.”
Sunderland forward Jermain Defoe scored twice for an England side including Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher, as well as pop star Robbie Williams and One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson.
Ronaldinho, Cafu, Jaap Stam and Edgar Davids starred for the Rest of the World, whose goals were scored by former Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov.
Mourinho will take charge of his first game as United boss when they face Borussia Dortmund in Shanghai on Jul 22.
With his charity commitments out of the way, Mourinho has to focus on a less pleasant distraction as the employment tribunal brought by former Chelsea first-team doctor Eva Carneiro begins on Monday.
Carneiro is claiming constructive dismissal against Chelsea and Mourinho could be called as a witness.
- Romero Old Trafford record will give Man Utd fans hope vs Liverpool after De Gea injury
- Man Utd fans dreading Sunday as Jose Mourinho confirmed as pundit for Liverpool clash
- Coaching Tools 101 - Which Coaching Tools to Use in Your Welcome Pack and Why!
- Give Gifts That Leave a Lasting Impression Instead of the Same Old Thing
- Khloe Kardashian's old clothes sell out almost immediately on Kardashian Kloset... but Kim is still struggling to unload her pricey gowns
- 12 Life Saving Tips When You Absolutely HAVE to Give a Speech
- Kristen Bell gives a sneak peek of her new Frozen 2 song The Next Right Thing ... as excitement ramps up for the highly anticipated animated sequel
- 'It can be hard to feel like yourself': Laura Byrne candidly discusses body confidence just months after giving birth to Marlie-Mae... as she poses up a storm for Next clothing campaign
- Welcome to the Thunderdome, Elizabeth Warren
- Miranda Kerr Evan Spiegel welcome second child, name baby boy - Myles
- Nationals give the fans history, joy, a World Series
- On the grapevine: This ultra-rich business clan welcomed a baby girl with mink stoles as presents
- HGTV star Christina Anstead ate her placenta after giving birth to son
- On the border, people give Brexit deal cautious welcome
- Making Your Home More Welcoming and Secure With Motion Lighting, a Simple Guide From Start to Finish
- What Do People Give For Baby Christening Gifts?
- Well Hello Traffic, Welcome to My Website!
- BJP-Sena give up without a fight in Latur City and Rural
- Kristen Bell, 39, gave up on her abs after welcoming kids but then found a cardio-Pilates class which made the difference: 'I feel so much stronger'
- Bigg Boss 7 fame Ajaz Khan accuses Shiv Sena of giving him death threats for contesting polls
Old Trafford gives Mourinho raucous welcome have 921 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at June 5, 2016. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.