Joe Maddon might actually be a magician. The Cubs manager is now basing lineup decisions on college basketball games — and somehow it still paid off. A day after Villanova’s buzzer-beater win in the NCAA Championship, Maddon started Wildcat alum Matt Szczur in left field. FLA. BASEBALL TEAM WINS 14 GAMES, GETS TO NAME COACH’S SON “Villanova wins the national championship, so I thought it was a good bet for tonight,” Maddon told MLB.com before Tuesday’s game. And the bench player delivered, smacking a leadoff home run in the third and singling and scoring in the seventh in Chicago’s 7-1 win over the Angels. Szczur, who played both football and baseball at Villanova before being drafted by the Cubs in 2010, had just one home run in 47 games in the majors last year and eight RBI. WE FOUND THE BEARS: ‘THE BAD NEWS BEARS’ 40 YEARS LATER FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. “LIKE” US HERE. He’s up to four RBI in two games in 2016 already. Villanova magic or Cubs magic?
- Top 25 Baseball Stories of the Decade — No. 1: Chicago Cubs finally win it all
- Villanova-North Carolina tops NCAA games of the decade
- Candid Coaches: Would your team visit Donald Trump in the White House if it won the national title?
- Big East deep and full of NCAA tournament contenders
- ‘Very dangerous trend’: Baseball failing to hire African American managers
- Trump's words come back to haunt him: Super-PAC funded by Chicago Cubs owner rolls out anti-Donald attack ad featuring women reading out his misogynist quotes from the past 25 years
- Seton Hall stuns No. 23 Villanova. Nova still win Big Eeat
- Candid Coaches: What team is going to win the 2020 NCAA Tournament championship?
- Five factors that predict who could cap March Madness by winning this season's NCAA Tournament championship
- Bears looking to tune up while dancing into playoffs
Cubs manager Joe Maddon started former Wildcat Matt Szczur because Villanova won the NCAA Championship have 302 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at April 6, 2016. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.