According to the United States NHTSA the Google autonomous program is equal to a human driver. The artificial intelligence system piloting a self-driving Google car could be considered the driver under federal law. The approval is a major step toward winning approval for autonomous vehicles on the roads.
Alphabet Inc. is the unit of Google responsible for developing the autonomous technology. Alphabet Inc. submitted a proposed design for a self-driving car to the NHTSA back in November 2015.
According to the NHTSA the letter proposed their cars have no need for a human driver. NHTSA declared they agree with Google. Since Google’s self-driving car will not have a ‘driver’ in the traditional sense.
The driver will be the autonomous Artificial Intelligence being developed by Google. Technically NHTSA has agreed to recognize the AI system that controls self-driving cars as the driver under federal law.
The only problem in the way of self-driving cars right now is the mountains of US laws and regulations. However the recent approval by the NHTSA could prove to be a game changer. It could substantially streamline the process of putting autonomous vehicles on the road.
The NHTSA did stress the AI tech is still liable to meet the safety regulations before being allowed on the road. The existing regulations cannot be waived immediately such as braking systems activated by foot control, according to Reuters.
Now the next step is to ensure how Google could certify the self-driving system meets the standards. The Google vehicle will need to be up on standard with the proposal by NHTSA.
- Toyota Buys Software Firm Renovo To Accelerate Self-Driving Tech Development
- Toyota buys software firm Renovo to accelerate self-driving tech development
- Google's Got a New Self-Driving Car Plan [Updated]
- Outrage as Tesla recruits YouTubers to test its self-driving technologies on public streets rather than trained safety drivers
- Oops, You Just Collided With An AI Self-Driving Car, What Happens Next?
- Facebook Snafu Prompts Realization About Rescuing AI Self-Driving Cars From Single Points Of Failure
- Vacation Home Boon Expected Due To Self-Driving Cars
- Tesla delays full self-driving roll out citing last minute concerns
- Get self-driving robot lorries on the roads to solve UK fuel crisis, techies urge
- How Tesla can sell 'full self-driving' software that doesn't really drive itself
- Tesla's 'full self-driving' could be days away. Here's what you need to know.
- Tesla Asks Owners to Share Fewer Embarrassing Clips of 'Full Self-Driving' Mistakes
- 6 Simple Things Google's Self-Driving Car Still Can't Handle
- Waymo's self-driving taxi struggles with left turns and puddles. But it's still winning over some Arizona riders
- Lyft is bringing another self-driving car pilot program to the Bay Area
- Tesla begins rolling out 'full self-driving' software update: Musk
- GM's Cruise, Alphabet's Waymo win permits to offer self-driving rides to passengers in California
- Those Unassuming Exurbs That Are Just Beyond The Suburbs Are Aiming To Grow Due To AI Self-Driving Cars
- Most Self-Driving Demonstrations Are Theater, Here’s How To Make Them More Real
- Bothering And Even Spying On Your Neighbors Via An AI Self-Driving Car
NHTSA Approves Google Self-Driving Tech As Human Driver have 501 words, post on www.i4u.com at February 11, 2016. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.