The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is out with its finalists for the Best Documentary Feature Oscar, and it includes films about a singers, actors, heroes and a number of hot-button issues. Among the pics on the shortlist are the Amy Winehouse docu Amy ; What Happened, Miss Simone? , about singer Nina Simone; and Listen To Me Marlon , culled from 200-plus hours of audiotapes Oscar winner Marlon Brando made during his career. A number of films touching on controversial subjects during the past year also made the cut including The Hunting Ground , about campus rape; 3 1/2 Minutes, 10 Bullets, about the shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white man in Florida; Going Clear: Scientology And The Prison Of Belief, an in-depth look at the Church of Scientology; Winter On Fire: Ukraine's Fight For Freedom, which chronicles the unrest in the Eastern European country; and He Named Me Malala , about the young girl who survived being shot in the head by the Taliban for being outspoken about her country's education system. Related Story ‘Hunting Ground’, ‘Amy’ Among PGA’s Feature Documentary Nominees The field includes films from three directors who already have Documentary Feature Oscars on… Read full this story
- Irish director chosen from 1100 to make shortlist of 10 in Female Film Force competition
- Irish writer chosen from 1100 to make shortlist of 10 in Female Film Force competition
- ‘We’re just so chuffed’ – Irish filmmaking trio on making shortlist of Female Film Force competition
- Glitnir makes shortlist for sustainable energy award
- The Book List: What was in Oscar Wilde's prison library?
- When is Genderquake on Channel 4, who appears on the show and what’s the documentary about?
- New documentary Pre-Crime shows how Minority Report-esque police techniques are already a reality
- 'A lot of people hate Jean-Luc Godard': The Artist director Michel Hazanavicius on making Redoubtable
- Here are all the bike safety checks you never realised you should be making
- Enjoy these Yankee Candle deals this Spring- including £15 free to spend
Oscars: 15 Documentary Features Make Shortlist have 326 words, post on deadline.com at December 1, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.