It's been a strange year for Hollywood in China , with triumphs and frustrations in the booming market that's set to supplant the U.S. as the No. 1 box office territory as early as 2017. What this next year holds is to a degree anyone's guess since the powers that be in the Middle Kingdom are known to move the goalposts at a whim. But Hollywood certainly would like to see some concrete change that would curtail the "shenanigans" and "tricks" that increased this year. A key wishlist item is an entity with the power to release films and compete with state-run China Film Group. However, it might take waiting out 2016 before seeing any major shifts. A look back at the past year shows mega-success for such Hollywood tentpoles as Furious 7 ($391M in China), Jurassic World ($229M), Avengers: Age Of Ultron ($240M), and Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation ($137M). The eight studio films that topped $100M tallied roughly $1.44B versus 2014's five movies over the century mark, which equaled about $781M. Growth of 84% is not chump change, and the studios recoup $360M of this year's number. Related Story TikTok Sale Put On Hold After Joe Biden Orders Review Of Donald… Read full this story
- Next round of India-China talks after new Chinese commander completes military familiarisation
- Việt Nam’s resilience helps it overcome a tough year and reset for new year
- Viet Nam’s resilience helps it overcome a tough year and reset for new year
- Game Of The Year Nominees Announced For New York Game Awards, Hosted By Reggie Fils-Aime
- In tough year, China makes decisive progress in ending absolute poverty
- Boris Johnson ends the year with a promise of hope - but has he been over-optimistic?
- At nearly 60,000, India records highest number of babies born on New Year’s Day 2021: UNICEF
- How China Surpassed Hollywood and Ruled the Post-Pandemic Box Office
- New Year 2021 around the world — Live updates
- New Year 2021 around the world — As it happened
Hollywood’s Year In China: Frustrations, Flimflam – And A New Hope For 2016 have 331 words, post on deadline.com at December 30, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.