The gloves are officially off.
Marvel Studios dropped the first trailer for “Captain American: Civil War,” the eagerly awaited throwdown between the star-spangled superhero and his Avengers teammate, Iron Man.
Based on the popular 2007 “Civil War” comic book miniseries, the flick centers on a major schism in the superhero community that pits Captain America (Chris Evans) against Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.). They find themselves on opposite sides of a government arrest order involving Cap’s former sidekick, the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan).
“He’s my friend,” pleads Cap.
“So was I,” answers a clearly hurt Iron Man.
Superheroes, however, have a different way of working through their feelings than the rest of us.
The highlight of the two-minute, 27-second trailer, which debuted on Tuesday night’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live” broadcast, is the shield on metal heavyweight tilt between the two biggest heroes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
There’s plenty of fighting to go around: Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, “Captain America: Civil War” also sees the Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), The Falcon (Anthony Mackie), The Vision (Paul Bettany), Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen), War Machine (Don Cheadle) and Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) take sides.
The movie, which hits theaters on May 6, 2016, will also introduce both the newly rebooted Spider-Man played by Tom Holland, as part of a blockbuster deal between Marvel and Sony, the studio that holds the character’s movie rights.
ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.
- Gwyneth Paltrow, Chris Evans, and Robert Downey Jr. Team Up to Visit Marvel Fan Fighting Cancer
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Review
- WATCH: 'Captain America: Civil War' first trailer
- ICYMI: Robert Downey Jr. Will Be In
- Q&A: Robert Downey Jr.
- Robert Downey Jr. Kicks Off 'Iron Man 3' World Tour in South Korea
- Avengers 4: Does Pepper Potts get an Iron Man suit in new movie?
- Iron Man Is Lost in Space in 'Avengers: Endgame' Trailer
- 'Civil War', 'Finding Dory' wow at CinemaCon Disney show
- Disney to screen 'Civil War' at CinemaCon
- 'Civil War' scores fifth biggest North American debut on $182m
- How Chris Evans Became Twitter's Avatar of Male Decency
- ‘Iron Man 3''s Box Office Record Streak Runs All the Way to Myanmar
- Box Office Report: 'Iron Man 3' Opens to Massive $198.4 Million Overseas, Bigger Than 'Avengers'
- Avengers: Endgame: New trailer may be just over a week away
- Avengers 4 will have a trailer by the end of 2018
- Avengers: Endgame: Trailers, release date, cast, plot and runtime
- Gwyneth Paltrow, who had never seen an ‘Avengers’ movie before ‘Infinity War,’ will exit the Marvel Cinematic Universe after ‘Endgame’
- No Spider-Man? No problem. Ms. Marvel is here to save the MCU.
- Avengers Endgame: Watch The Trailer Right Now
'Captain America: Civil War' trailer shows schism between Chris Evans' hero and Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man have 434 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at November 25, 2015. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.