Dr No (1962) Sean Connery’s first outing in the Bond role. It gave us the gun-barrel titles and the Monty Norman theme. There was Ursula Andress in the bikini and the exotic Johnny Foreigner villain with an outrageous island lair. What’s not to indulge? Rating: ★★★★★ From Russia With Love (1963) My favourite. Weirdly ungadgety and downbeat, with Istanbul locations. Connery searches his hotel room for bugs for what seems like 10 minutes, with the theme music playing deafeningly. Great train fight with Robert Shaw. ★★★★★ Goldfinger (1964) “You eckshpect me to talk? No, Mr Bond, I expect you to DIE!” This introduced us to his Aston Martin DB5, and the weirdo spectacle of Shirley Eaton suffocating in gold. It established the convention whereby the villain leaves 007 time to escape some elaborate automated death. ★★★★★ Thunderball (1965) The evil organisation Spectre had its first appearance in Fleming’s Thunderball novel, and we’d got used to it by now. Good stuff here, but the franchise faltered a bit, with long underwater sequences. ★★★★☆ You Only Live Twice (1967) This great action movie put Sean’s Bond right back on top, and introduced us to the horribly scarred, Nehru-suit-wearing, cat-stroking master criminal Spectre… Read full this story
- What is the next James Bond film called and when will it be released? Cast rumours, likely dates, plot and director
- Planned Solihull housing estate 'would be perfect for James Bond film'
- Dominic West calls for the next James Bond to be transgender soldier Hannah Graf
- Who will be the next James Bond? Latest odds on Richard Madden, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, and Henry Cavill
- Who will be the next James Bond? Latest odds on Tom Hiddleston, James Norton, Idris Elba and Tom Hardy
- This is Us star in running to replace Daniel Craig as next James Bond 007
- James Bond 25 to get re-write after news release date is pushed back two months
- How many James Bond movies has Daniel Craig done and what is his net worth?
- Idris Elba drops biggest hint yet he could replace Daniel Craig as James Bond
- Albert Finney dead at 82 as the James Bond actor dies after a short illness
Rated: the best James Bond films – and the ones that die another day have 347 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 23, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.