A court in Russia has sentenced Estonian security official Eston Kohver to 15 years in prison for espionage and other charges.Kohver was detained at the Russian border on last September in a case that provoked a diplomatic row.Estonia and the EU insist the officer was abducted on Estonian soil. Kohver says he is not guilty.Russia’s domestic security service, the FSB, said he was on a “spying operation” on Russian territory. After his arrest for spying near the Luhamaa border checkpoint on 5 September, the security official was charged with other crimes including smuggling arms and illegally crossing the Russian state border, according to Interfax news agency.As well as the prison sentence, the court in the western Pskov region ordered him to pay a fine of 100,000 roubles (£970; €1,800).Kohver’s sentence coincided with the climax of another controversial trial, involving Ukrainian filmmaker Oleg Sentsov.Prosecutors in Rostov-on-Don in southern Russia have called for Mr Sentsov to be jailed for 23 years, on charges of organising a terrorist group and planning terrorist attacks in Crimea.Film-makers including Wim Wenders, Stephen Daldry, Bertrand Tavernier and Andrzej Wajda appealed on Tuesday for his immediate release, pointing out that the key witness had retracted his testimony because… Read full this story
- Local elections, high national stakes: what you need to know about Russia’s vote on Sunday
- Macron's blunt NATO diagnosis was risky but necessary, French officials say
- Russia could cut off internet to Nato countries, British military chief warns
- Alleged Russian spies sentenced to jail over Montenegro 'coup plot'
- Timeline: Spy poisoning causes UK and Russia row - key events as nerve agent attack puts Cold War enemies at loggerheads
- Last batch of belugas held in Russia 'whale jails' released
- 'Response to NATO': What Forced Russia to Conduct Snap Check of Aerospace Forces
- Canada's Ties With Russia Will Not Be Affected by Ottawa's NATO Activities
- General election 2019: The mystery of the Russia report
- This Month’s UN Security Council Head Is Accused Of Wrongly Imprisoning A Christian Businesswoman
Russia jails Estonia security official Eston Kohver have 326 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at August 19, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.