Gasser: It’s one of the toughest names in hot rodding. Today, it conjures images of pre-’58 bodies, mile-high front suspensions, and wide slicks protruding from radiused wheel openings. But the origin was simply the NHRA’s early attempt at classifying race machinery that ran on anything other than exotic fuels like alcohol and nitromethane. At the time, alky/nitromethane cars were classified as Fuel Dragsters, Fuel Altereds, and Fuel Coupes. But knowing that the majority of would-be racers drove in off the street, specific classes were set up to handle these gasoline burning “street” cars, or gassers, as they came to be known. With a nearly infinite variety of potential vehicle combinations, in 1955 the NHRA sought to establish a framework of classifications that were determined by dividing the vehicle weight by the engine’s cubic inch displacement. A/G was for cars 0.00 and 10.59 lb/cu-in, B/G was for 10.60 to 12.59 lb/cu-in, C/G was for cars factoring at 12.60 to 14.59 lb/cu-in, and D/G was for cars with a lb/cu-in ratio in excess of 14.60:1. Without going into the tedium of how these classes blended over the years, it is safe to say one of the most successful Gas class drag racers… Read full this story
- Woman describes alleged sexual grooming by Ohio State coach
- Daughter of segregationist Alabama governor George Wallace speaks candidly about her ties to 'the most dangerous racist in America' and reveals why she was RELIEVED when he was shot in 1972 assassination attempt
- The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America by George Packer – review
- Eddie George Says Joe Burrow Is Front-Runner to Win Heisman
- Natalie Portman tells LA Women's March she experienced 'sexual terrorism' at 13 after starring in her first film when a fan sent her a 'rape fantasy' and critics 'talked about my budding breasts'
- If only saving the planet was as easy as planting a tree before speeding off in our SUVs
- House Dems unveil initial GOP targets in 2020
- Tebow: Lack of Heisman love gives Dabo Swinney even more fuel
- Five years ago, Obama was blasted for wearing a tan suit. Now, it's used to contrast him with Trump.
- The 10 most momentous breakups of the decade, from Brangelina to Brexit
A/Gas Racer Ohio George Montgomery Tells All. have 363 words, post on www.hotrod.com at August 31, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.