David Simon is returning to HBO. The creator of “The Wire” and “Treme” has created a new series with “Crash” director Paul Haggis called “Show Me a Hero,” which will debut on Aug. 16, the network announced. Set in Yonkers in the 1980s, the show focuses on a young mayor (a mustachioed Oscar Issac) struggling with racial strife in his city after he’s ordered to build public housing projects in largely white neighborhoods around town. “His attempt to do so tears the entire city apart, paralyzes the municipal government and, ultimately, destroys the mayor and his political future,” HBO execs said. The six-part series is based on the 1999 book of the same name by Lisa Belkin, a former longtime New York Times scribe who now reports for Yahoo News. Haggis directed all six episodes, which will air on alternate Sundays at 9 p.m. until Sept. 27. The cast also includes Catherine Keener, Alfred Molina, Winona Ryder, LaTanya Richardson-Jackson, Bob Balaban and Jim Belushi. Speaking to Grantland for a piece in January, Simon called the project “a story that’s worth telling,” but said he didn’t expect it to become a “Wire”-sized hit. “You are not going to get zombie-like… Read full this story
- Durham Cricket League: Seven-wicket hero Gray sets up brilliant victory for Murton against Ryhope
- Durham Cricket League: Errington the hero as Ryhope outgun Littletown, while Dawdon claim superb success against leaders
- Remembering Rocky: celebrating the life of David Rocastle
- Matt Kemp plays the hero again as Dodgers move into first place with ninth-inning win
- Rapper Mac Miller dead at 26
- Central Section prep football summaries
- Jets get strong QB play against sluggish Falcons, win 17-0
- NFL notebook: Helicopters over Lambeau were complete surprise
- Does Australia's football rivalry with England matter?
- All the Incredible New Comic Series to Cozy Up With This Fall
David Simon, Paul Haggis miniseries ‘Show Me a Hero’ to debut on HBO Aug. 16 have 299 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at May 21, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.