The tough truth about year-end lists is that they’re usually composed in a hurry. When we first started talking about putting together this list last year, part of what appealed to us about it was the chance to rethink old rankings and to catch up with each other’s favorites—a chance to revisit and rediscover, and to try to define this halfway-done decade. It was a project months in the making. Deciding the best films of the past five years meant organizing the largest film poll The A.V. Club has ever attempted, based on a new system, different from the one we’ve traditionally used for year-end coverage, which factored in both points and votes in an effort to find a more accurate consensus. Advertisement Unsurprisingly, the results were diverse, placing experimental documentaries next to blockbusters, IMAX extravaganzas alongside next-to-no-budget indies. This is, after all, the present we’re talking about—the 2010s, cinema’s first decade as a mostly digital medium, and a time when the small films are smaller and the big films are bigger than ever before. Some of the movies on this list—including the very first title, at number 100—didn’t end up in our year-end best-of polls in their respective years…. Read full this story
- The best films of 2019 so far
- Michael Caine’s best films – ranked!
- KINO favorites: 7 best films by female directors
- 'Joker' wins best film at Venice Film Festival
- Why Fast & Furious is the best film franchise of all time
- Best Amazon Prime movies: the best films to stream in September 2019
- UK climate targets 'will raise household energy bills by £100 in a decade'
- The Best Films of Saeed Jaffrey
- Vote for Shah Rukh Khan's BEST film!
- Black Friday 2019: The best deals so far
The 100 best films of the decade (so far), #51-100 have 289 words, post on film.avclub.com at April 7, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.