WASHINGTON — Talk of overhauling the criminal justice system is serious business — but before diving into the subject, President Barack Obama had something else he wanted to say. Obama told David Simon, creator of the acclaimed HBO series “The Wire,” that he was a huge fan of the program about life in drug-plagued Baltimore. Obama and Simon sat down this week at the White House for a 12-minute discussion about the need to reduce the incarceration of nonviolent drug offenders and steps to make cities safer. A video of their conversation was played at Thursday’s Bipartisan Criminal Justice Summit in Washington. Obama said “The Wire” wasn’t just one of the greatest TV shows ever. He called it one of the greatest “pieces of art” in the last couple of decades. The president said people looking for solutions to the drug war need to “humanize what so often, on the local news, is just a bunch of shadowy characters and tell their stories.” “That’s where the work you’ve done has been so important,” Obama told Simon. Obama once again paid tribute to his favorite “Wire” character: Omar Little, a stick-up man who targets drug dealers. ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH… Read full this story
- Does Obama Really 'Get It' For Health Reform?
- Obamas land a coveted spot on The Hollywood Reporter's Top 100 most powerful in entertainment after their foray into film production and multi-million dollar Netflix deal in the showbiz bible's most diverse list ever
- Over 1,000,000 Guns Purchased in April 2009 in the USA - A Discussion of Firearms
- L. Brent Bozell, Tim Graham: Since Trump won, NY Times, Washington Post have virtually declared war on him
- David Bossie: 7 Democratic debate takeaways after watching candidates caught up in Trump Derangement Syndrome
- The Latest: Snubbing Biden, Warren thanks Obama for support
- Young people are collateral damage in failed war on drugs
- The Latest: Many Democrats support taking on drug companies
- Real Talk About How
- Corn Pop’s Revenge: Leftists Move for the End of Joe Biden
Obama discusses drug war with ‘The Wire’ creator David Simon have 328 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at March 26, 2015. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.