Robert Downey Jr. is a very considerate ex-boyfriend.
“The Avengers” star revealed on “The Howard Stern Show” Tuesday that he would ask permission from Matthew Broderick before meeting with his ex-girlfriend Sarah Jessica Parker, whom he dated for several years until their split in 1991.
The topic came up when Stern asked Downey about whether the “Sex and the City” star had broken his heart.
“I’ve never been the kind of person to acknowledge what’s going on with me at the time, and I would try to make light of it, but sure, when you’re with someone for seven years, 18 to our mid-20s, it’s kind of a big deal,” he said.
Stern then asked the actor if he’s still in touch with his famous ex.
“I’ll make a point of trying to see her while I’m here,” he said, referring to New York City, where Parker lives with her husband and children. “I’d like to.”
“Don’t you think Matthew Broderick will be upset?” the radio host asked.
“Well I’ll ask his permission,” Downey replied.
“I just want to check in for a few minutes,” he added. “I love Matthew Broderick.”
The King of All Media then put him on the spot by asking if Downey had ever had salacious thoughts about his ex, to which he jokingly responded, “No, I’d have to ask Matthew’s permission.”
Downey then attempted to wriggle away from Stern’s invasive line of questioning by reiterating his appreciation of the celebrity couple.
“First of all, I respect both of them so much, and now we have to get past this conversation,” he said.
“For any situation like this, I think enough time has to pass,” he added. “You don’t have to make a big deal of it when the time is right.”
When Stern proposed Downey have a lunch date with Broderick and Parker, the Oscar nominee was game.
“I’d love to have him there,” he said. “Maybe I’ll bring (my wife) Susan.”
“Would you mind coming just to kind of mediate the whole thing?” Downey asked Stern. “It would be a natural extension seeing as you’re a part of the conversation.”
The radio host agreed, adding, “I won’t shut up during it.”
ON A MOBILE DEVICE? CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE AUDIO CLIP.
- Sarah Jessica Parker discusses the ill-fated Sex and the City 3
- No new criminal charges as Robert Mueller delivers report into ‘collusion’ between Trump campaign and Russia
- Avengers Endgame: UK release date, trailer, run time, cast and latest news
- Locked up in April: Criminals put behind bars last month
- Full list of EU election candidates in your area
- 5,000 interviews, 200 indictments, and ONE Mueller report
- Triple Frontier, Hanna, Serenity
- POLITICO London Playbook: Please make it stop — Stalemate, again — Sedwill warning
- POLITICO London Playbook: Commons in control — The Grand Wizards of Brexit — Big lobby reshuffle
Robert Downey Jr. says he’ll ask Matthew Broderick’s permission to see ex-girlfriend Sarah Jessica Parker have 482 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 7, 2014. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.