If the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is not stopped now, the deadly virus could infect hundreds of thousands of people in the region, which would have profound global consequences, President Barack Obama said today (Sept. 16).”Here’s the hard truth: In West Africa, Ebola is now an epidemic of the likes that we have not seen before. It’s spiraling out of control. It is getting worse. It’s spreading faster and exponentially,” Obama said in a news conference at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.The virus has infected more than 4,000 people so far, and “that number could rapidly grow,” Obama said. “If the outbreak is not stopped now, we could be looking at hundreds of thousands of people infected, with profound political and economic and security implications for all of us.” [5 Things You Should Know About Ebola]Obama made the comments as he announced a “major increase” in the United States’ response to the Ebola outbreak.The country will establish a military command center in Liberia, which Major General Darryl Williams will command, and which will support civilian efforts in the region, Obama said. The United States will also create an “air bridge” to get health workers and… Read full this story
- This nursing home has become the US epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, but patients' family members say they are left in the dark
- President Erdogan says 'MILLIONS' of migrants will head to Europe and the continent must share the migrant 'burden' after opening Turkey's borders, as Greeks say they fear 'invasion'
- Voter Approval of Trump's Handling of Coronavirus Outbreak Dips as President Accused of Downplaying Virus
- Obama Pushes Gun Control, Says Some Restrictions Should Be ‘Common Sense’
- The government had a model for handling Ebola. Trump has ditched it
- Mike Bloomberg on Trump’s Coronavirus Response: Obama Was ‘Much Better Prepared’
- Trump attempts to blame Obama for coronavirus test kit shortage
- African countries are at severe risk if outbreaks aren't detected early and contained, says Africa CDC head
- Bloomberg Pushes Plan to Defeat NRA, Legislators Commit to Ignoring Gun Control
- Trump Defends Coronavirus Evacuations But Claimed in 2014 Such a Move Showed Obama's Incompetence During Ebola
Ebola Outbreak 'Spiraling Out of Control,' President Obama Says have 356 words, post on www.livescience.com at September 16, 2014. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.