N early five years into the recovery from the Great Recession, the American economy remains fundamentally broken. Inequality is getting worse: Ninety-five percent of income gains since 2009 have gone to the top one percent of earners. Private employers have added more than 8 million jobs, but nearly two-thirds are low-wage positions. The American worker's share of the national income is as low as it's been in the six decades since World War II. But even as most Americans struggle just to tread water, corporate profits have soared to record highs. Why It's Time to Start Pushing For a Minimum Wage Hike Worse: The bottom rung of the economy is growing crowded; 3.8 million Americans – the equivalent population of the city of Los Angeles – now labor at or below the minimum wage. And that wage itself has lost more than 12 percent of its value since it was last hiked to $7.25 in 2007, due to inflation. In a more prosperous era, the stereotype of a minimum-wage worker was a teenager flipping burgers, earning a little beer money on the side. But in the new American economy, dominated by low-wage service jobs, fewer than one in four minimum-wage… Read full this story
- Activists Want Private Prisons To Pay ICE Detainees Minimum Wage, But No Answers On How Taxes, Social Security Would Work
- Opinion: Twenty years on, we can say the national minimum wage experiment was a success. Now to the next challenge
- Target Raises Minimum Wage to $13/hour in Tight Labor Market
- Senate passes bill to raise New Hampshire's minimum wage
- Illinois becomes latest state to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour
- Minimum Wage Boosts Are Great—For Robots
- Minimum Wage Hikes Inflict Maximum Pain
- A $15 Minimum Wage Seemed Impossible. Now It’s Reality for a Million New Yorkers.
- The $15 Minimum Wage Is Here. It’s Not Nearly Enough, but It’s a Start.
- The $15 Minimum Wage Is Here. Why We Need $33 an Hour.
Hey, Washington! The Pay Is Too Damn Low: The Minimum-Wage War have 317 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at February 27, 2014. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.