Politics collided with the world of technology this year as stories about U.S. government spying stirred angst both among the country’s citizens and foreign governments, and the flawed HeathCare.gov site got American health-care reform off to a rocky start. Meanwhile, the post-PC era put aging tech giants under pressure to reinvent themselves. Here in no particular order are IDG News Service’s picks for the top 10 tech stories of the year. The feds fumble HealthCare.govWhile industry experts say that many if not most big IT projects have major problems, the fumbled Oct. 1 rollout of HealthCare.gov has the dubious distinction of casting a shadow on U.S. President Barack Obama’s landmark legislative achievement: the Affordable Care Act, often called Obamacare. Thirty-four states chose to be part of the HealthCare.gov marketplace. The US$630 million website, built to let millions of Americans shop for heath care, was able to sign up a paltry six people on its first day of service, 248 in the first two days and just 27,000 people in the first month. Outages, incorrect data loading and security concerns plagued the site. The problems appear to stem from lack of overall project oversight, insufficient testing, and glitches in the system’s… Read full this story
- Big Brother: Google Admits to Altering Android Phone Settings Remotely Without Permission
- AR Will Spark the Next Big Tech Platform—Call It Mirrorworld
- 'It's a fresh format': Big Brother 2020 reboot may scrap live audience voting so housemates can vote each other out 'Survivor-style'
- Big Brother moves out of the house: Huge changes announced for the 2020 Australian reboot 'to keep costs down' - as a TV insider reveals the star being tipped to host
- Apple wearables now the fastest growing division at tech giant
- With Tech on the Defensive, SXSW Takes an Introspective Turn
- What Democrats running for president in 2020 have said about big tech
- The clash of tech titans: Apple vs Facebook
- These are the 7 crucial tech stories to watch closely in 2019, according to Business Insider’s reporters and editors
- CES 2019: Chinese Tech Firms Lay Lower Amid Trade Tensions
Top Tech Stories of 2013: Big Brother, Wearables, and the Struggles of Aging Tech Giants have 340 words, post on www.networkworld.com at December 9, 2013. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.