CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Danica Patrick and her husband are divorcing after seven years of marriage.
Patrick announced the split with Paul Hospenthal on her Facebook page Tuesday.
“I am sad to inform my fans that after seven years, Paul and I have decided amicably end our marriage,” she said. “This isn’t easy for either of us, but mutually it has come to this. He has been an important person and friend in my life and that’s how we will remain moving forward.”
Hospenthal is a physical therapist who met Patrick while treating her for a non-racing injury. The two were married in 2005, and he is 17 years older than the 30-year-old driver.
Patrick just completed her first full season in NASCAR, running the full Nationwide schedule and 10 Sprint Cup Series races after leaving IndyCar.
Earlier this month, Patrick had her best finish in nine Cup starts this season, finishing 24th at Texas and running every lap for the first time. Tony Gibson was Ryan Newman’s crew chief for Stewart-Haas Racing, but is moving to Patrick’s team next season. They got a head start with her final two races this season and she finished 10th in Nationwide points, becoming the highest-finishing female driver in the history of NASCAR’s three national series. The previous record was held by Sara Christian, who finished 13th in 1949 in the Cup series.
On Monday night, Patrick won the Nationwide Series’ most popular driver award, which is voted on by fans, and she remains one of the most recognizable drivers in auto racing. Patrick challenged for the Indy 500 win as a rookie, becoming the first woman to lead laps while finishing fourth. She was a career-best third in 2009.
There was speculation that her appeal with advertisers had waned, but earlier this month Go Daddy said Patrick will again appear in the website domain provider’s commercials during the Super Bowl next year. Patrick and Go Daddy first teamed up when the company became an associate sponsor for her IndyCar in 2007. Go Daddy became the primary IndyCar sponsor in 2010, along with a partial NASCAR schedule, and followed her for the full Nationwide Series and limited Sprint Cup schedules this year.
Go Daddy has committed to sponsor the Cup schedule next season, when Patrick moves up to NASCAR’s top level on a full-time basis.
- Danica Patrick: What to Recall About Her NASCAR Career
- Danica Patrick Reveals What She Misses Most About NASCAR Racing
- NASCAR driver Corey LaJoie explains why he’s doing reality TV, how his Christian faith influences him
- NASCAR Driver Angela Ruch's Husband Mike Slams Kevin Harvick With Clown Emoji Amid '$50,000 Bounty'
- Friday 5: NASCAR’s decision to compete stands out among other sports
- Real Housewives Of Atlanta: Kenya Moore shares details of quarrel with Marc Daly prompting divorce
- Is Phil Collins' insecurity driving him back on the road? DAVID JONES asks his family and friends why the 69-year-old drummer is re-forming Genesis with diabetes, walking problems and hearing loss
- Ireland votes to let married couples divorce after living apart for two years - down from FOUR
- Brooke Burke and David Charvet Finalize Divorce, Will Share Custody of 2 Kids
- A rattled and nostalgic NASCAR returns to Fontana for Auto Club 400
- Coronavirus can wait, love can't: Silvio Berlusconi, 80, dumps girlfriend of 12 years for a 30-year-old
- 'It's terrible to see her in such a vulnerable state': Annie Lennox shows support for Sinead O'Connor as Facebook post on behalf of the suicidal singer says she is 'safe'
- NASCAR 7-time champ Jimmie Johnson to test IndyCar in April
- RHOA’s Kenya Moore claims husband Marc Daly CHEATED on her during marriage from hell
- Brooke Burke and David Charvet finalize their divorce
- Heartbroken wife pays tribute to her 'soul mate' retired policeman husband, 59, who has become the youngest coronavirus patient in Britain to die as toll rises by 14 to 35
- Jimmie Johnson working to rekindle memories of his past NASCAR glories
- Dubai ruler's kidnapped daughter Princess Shamsa 'contacted British officers for help 17 YEARS after she was snatched from Cambridge street', lawyer claims - fuelling calls for inquiry into actions of police and Foreign Office
- NASCAR, IndyCar Call Off Races Due To Coronavirus
- Hands off my Joe! Incredible moment Jill Biden threw herself in front of lunging vegan protester to protect her husband during his Super Tuesday victory speech
NASCAR driver Danica Patrick announces on Facebook she is divorcing her husband of seven years have 713 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at November 20, 2012. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.