As expected, cornerback Terence Newman is done with the Dallas
Cowboys after nine seasons as a starter.
Newman was released Tuesday, a long-anticipated move announced
by the team only minutes after free agency began. The two-time Pro
Bowl cornerback was scheduled to count more than $8 million against
the salary cap in 2012.
The team also released kicker David Buehler.
Tenders were placed by the Cowboys on two exclusive rights free
agents, defensive end Clifton Geathers and offensive tackle Jermey
Dallas is looking to upgrade its secondary, and one of its
targets is free agent cornerback Brandon Carr, who played the past
four seasons for Kansas City.
The 33-year-old Newman, who went to the Pro Bowl in 2007 and
2009, started 131 of his 133 games after the Cowboys took him with
the fifth overall pick in 2003 out of Kansas State. He leaves with
558 career tackles and 32 interceptions.
Newman appeared in all 16 games six times for the Cowboys. He
missed the first two games last season with a groin injury, and
missed six games with a similar injury in 2008. Newman had 53
tackles with four tackles last season, but became the target of
opposing teams late in the season. He had a career-high 79 tackles
Buehler was primarily a kickoff specialist for the Cowboys, but
missed most of last season with a groin injury.
A fifth-round draft pick out of USC in 2009, Buehler played in
36 career games for the Cowboys with 60 touchbacks. He made 24 of
32 field goals, 42 of 44 extra points and had 19 tackles on special
Buehler played only four games last season before being placed
on injured reserve Nov. 10. In 2009, Buehler led the NFL and set a
single-season Cowboys record with 29 touchbacks on kickoffs.
Rookie Dan Bailey became the primary kicker last season. He made
32 of 37 field goals and all 39 extra points.
- Cowboys focus on Redskins, need help to save lost season
- The tiny town of Newman reels as hunt for cop killer grows, Trump seizes on issue
- Ex-Footy Show host Sam Newman is BANNED from watching new Adam Goodes documentary after labelling it 'grovelling' and 'fake news'
- Ciara stuns in latex and a leather cowboy jumpsuit while leading Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve coverage from Los Angeles
- MLB hot stove: With every top free-agent starter signed, where will pitching-needy teams turn?
- The Most Overlooked Performance of the Year (So Far): Brady Jandreau in ‘The Rider’
- Selena Gomez Looks Back at Her Whirlwind Year With Never-Before-Seen Photos
- Cowboys 2020 offseason: Six-step plan to turn Dallas into Super Bowl contenders
- Agent's Take: 2019's ultimate 53-man roster features Ezekiel Elliott after massive extension with Cowboys
- Wake Forest quarterback Jamie Newman enters transfer portal to play next season as a graduate transfer
- NFL Week 17 picks, odds, how to watch: Steelers, Cowboys win and get help on way to the playoffs
- Cowboys’ Byron Jones out against Redskins with ankle injury
- Cowboys vs. Redskins odds, line: 2019 NFL picks, Week 17 predictions from advanced computer model
- Cowboys' DeMarcus Lawrence ruled out with back injury, will not return to pivotal matchup vs. Redskins
- Cowboys' Jason Witten will decide quickly on future, possible retirement: 'This game's meant so much to me'
- NFL odds, picks, lines, spreads for Week 17: Advanced computer model releases top predictions
- The Last of Us 2 release date, price, trailers, news and rumors
- Redskins rule Dwayne Haskins out for Week 17 vs. Cowboys due to high ankle injury
- Disney Infinity 3.0 Starter Pack Review and Giveaway
- Cowboys rule out Tyron Smith, Byron Jones and Antwaun Woods in must-win regular season finale vs. Redskins
Newman released after 9 years as Cowboys starter have 562 words, post on www.foxsports.com at March 13, 2012. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.