Manchester United held on to quell a spirited second half comeback by Manchester City as they knocked the holders out of the FA Cup with a 3-2 third round win at Eastlands here on Sunday. United, who brought 37-year-old midfielder Paul Scholes out of retirement as a second half substitute, seemed to be in control at the home of their local rivals after two first half goals from Wayne Rooney, another from Danny Welbeck, and the controversial sending off of City captain Vincent Kompany. But Premier League leaders City responded with an early second half goal from Aleksandar Kolarov and, after Sergio Aguero struck with nearly half an hour remaining, the Blues appeared on the brink of a remarkable fightback. Indeed, Kolarov nearly forced a replay in stoppage time when a stinging free-kick, from the edge of the area, was only parried by United goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard before being scrambled to safety. Ultimately, the tie was decided inside an explosive opening 12 minutes, during which United took the lead and City were reduced to 10 men following Kompany?s dismissal. To make matters worse for City, they had enjoyed a commanding opening spell before the visitors scored with their first foray…
- Deulofeu comes off bench to spearhead incredible Watford comeback against Wolves and set up Man City FA Cup final
- Who do Man City face in the Community Shield if they win both the Premier League and the FA Cup?
- Noel Gallagher looks in high spirits on night out in London as he celebrates FA Cup semi-finals result
- Man City beat Brighton to reach FA Cup final in front of thousands of empty seats
- Premier League reject West Ham request to move Southampton game forward to allow fans to support women’s side in FA Cup final
- Watford hero Callaghan danced with Kiki Dee at Elton John’s celeb-filled FA Cup party, recalls Graham Taylor’s vein and battling cancer
- FA Cup: Man Utd beat Tottenham to reach final
- Craig Cathcart joined Watford as the rats were moving out… now he’s taking the Hornets to Wembley for an FA Cup semi-final
- David De Gea, the Man Utd hero who drives a van, endured a horror World Cup and has a pop star WAG… who wouldn’t live in Manchester
- Football League and FA Cup: Josh Dasilva treble caps Brentford's 7-0 romp
Man Utd knock City out of FA Cup in derby thriller have 382 words, post on at January 8, 2012. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.