”Battle of the Sexes” was sooooo last year. ”Battle of the Exes” is how this year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic played out when Mike Smith, dressed in white to ride Drosselmeyer under the lights, appeared out of nowhere like a ghost and beat his front-running ex to the wire aboard Game On Dude. ”I saw white, and I said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. Mike Smith. Ugh,’ ” Chantal Sutherland said. Drosselmeyer, a 14-1 long shot, won the $5 million Classic by 1-1/2 lengths Saturday at Churchill Downs, capping a weekend of upsets in the season-ending championships. A year ago, Smith walked off the track in tears after losing the same race by a head on superstar Zenyatta. ”Last year I sat here just devastated, thought my life was over,” he said. ”Just to come back and have a day like I did today and to win the race that I got beat in last year, it’s just amazing.” Smith and Sutherland, together on and off for six years and once engaged, broke up in 2010 but remain civil. They even took part in a ”Battle of the Exes” match race at Del Mar in August to promote the sport…. Read full this story
- Horsfield clinches second European Tour title of the month with Celtic Classic win
- Herman rallies to win Wyndham, qualify for FedEx playoffs
- Thomas wins in Memphis; Kang takes LPGA Tour return in Ohio
- Trump Says 'We Won on DACA' at Tulsa Rally After Supreme Court Ruling
- Wild summer for A’s, Giants ushers in potential for classic fall
- Imperial College are the champions! The Scowler beats Grandmaster Wang to win University Challenge - but how many questions in epic final could YOU answer?
- Pandit Jasraj: tributes paid to 'incomparable genius' of Indian classical music
- More than 600 police in huge show of force as they scatter Black Lives Matter protesters at banned Sydney rally - as hardcore activists behind the demonstrations are revealed
- Biden commemorates anniversary of Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' rally: 'We are in a battle for the soul of our nation'
- Shubhankar starts with topsy-turvy round at Celtic Classic
Drosselmeyer rallies for Classic win have 346 words, post on www.foxsports.com at November 4, 2011. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.