At the time director Ridley Scott’s 1979 “Alien” hit theaters, the idea of her character Ripley becoming a feminist icon was more than a little, well, alien to everyone involved with the production, Sigourney Weaver tells the Daily News. But since the film’s release coincided with a time in American history when women were making more inroads into the work force, moviegoers were ready to embrace a female action hero – making the sci-fi horror classic’s filmmakers look pretty smart. Ripley went back to space, where no one can hear you scream, three more times over the years in successful “Aliens” sequels. “I don’t think it was a feminist decision, I think it was more of a story decision,” says Weaver. “That no one would ever anticipate that this young woman would end up being the hero of the piece.” “We just caught this wave culturally,” she says, 31 years later in the midst of a press tour for the release of “Alien Anthology,” a mammoth Blu-Ray boxed set out Tuesday that collects both the theatrical and director’s cuts for all four “Aliens” movies. One of the highlights of the 60 hours of DVD extras is footage from Weaver’s original… Read full this story
- Sorry, Ridley Scott: Sigourney Weaver is the only true Alien scream queen
- Watch Aliens 30th Anniversary Comic-Con Cast Q&A
- The Avatar sequel celebrates wrapping filming for the year with its first behind-the-scenes set sneak peak
- 'We are all so devastated': tributes pour in to Alan Rickman from acting world
- Star spangled glamor: the mission to make space travel cooler than ever before
- The 100 Greatest
- The Rightest and Wrongest Spoilers of 2011!
- Elizabeth Warren’s Classroom Strategy
- ISIS Claims the Easter Sunday Bombings in Sri Lanka. Here’s Why We Should Have Seen Them Coming.
- The ugly scandal that cancelled the Nobel prize
Sigourney Weaver on 'Alien': No one knew Ripley would be female action icon, believe it or not! have 301 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 24, 2010. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.