Victoria Beckham is no longer an ex-Spice Girl who wants to be a fashion designer. She is a fashion designer. In the two years since she announced to a sceptical fashion industry that she had begun designing dresses, Beckham’s catwalk shows at New York fashion week have gone from being a curiosity to a hot ticket. Her fifth collection, presented in an Upper East Side townhouse today, continued to impress editors and buyers with a slick collection of 26 elegant, desirable dresses. What’s more, by leaving behind corsetry in favour of more fluid shapes and fabrics, Beckham showed the ability to stay in step with fashion’s mercurial changes of mood which is essential for a label’s survival. Beckham has revived an old-fashioned form of catwalk presentation in which she sits in the front row giving a commentary on the inspirations, fabrics and techniques employed for each dress as the models pass by. This not only maximises the impact of her celebrity, but enables her to demonstrate that she speaks the language of the design studio with the fluency of someone who really works in one. She described how she created the initial template for a violet draped silk dress by… Read full this story
- 10 Things to Do and See in New York City
- New York Events to Get You Moving This Fall
- City Breaks in Europe - This Summer's Hot Ticket
- Androgynous Look - Women's Style in Fashion
- Trendy Chic & Affordable Fashion Ideas - Cut Designer Gear Costs By Cutting This Off?
- Two Fresh New Faces in Fashion
- Hot August Nights Set to Return With Neil Diamond
- How Many Different Ways Are There to Help My Child Learn a New Language?
- Hair's The Thing
- Top Five Items One Must Own to Become the Ultimate Boho-Chic Chick
Victoria Beckham at New York fashion week: catwalk curiosity to hot ticket have 293 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 12, 2010. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.