This never happened to Schwarzenegger.
“I was really being hassled, perhaps because of my name being Khan,” the international box office sensation charged Saturday in a text message to reporters.
“These guys wouldn’t let me through.”
Khan, who has appeared in more than 70 films, said he was waiting for his luggage Friday when his name popped up on a computer alert list. Security then pulled him aside.
“Absolutely uncalled for, I think,” Khan said. “I felt angry and humiliated.”
Khan said he endured two hours of interrogation before he was allowed to call the Indian embassy in Washington. An official there vouched for the star, who was then released.
“I was really taken aback,” Khan told an Indian television station. “I did not want to say anything just in case they took everything wrong, because I am a little worried about Americans because they do have this issue when your name is Muslim.”
Officials at U.S. Customs and Border Protection did not answer multiple inquiries Saturday about the case.
The actor insisted he had all the proper paperwork when he was brought to a detention room at the New Jersey airport. But, he said, Khan “is a Muslim name, and I think the name is common on their checklist.”
New Dehli-based U.S. Ambassador Timothy Roemer said officials were trying to “ascertain the facts of the case.”
“Shah Rukh Khan, the actor and global icon, is a very welcome guest in the United States,” Roemer said Saturday. “Many Americans love his films.”
“I told them I am a movie star,” Khan said – although the line fell on deaf ears.
He recently signed a deal with Fox Star Studios to finance and distribute his new movie, “My Name is Khan” – the story of a Muslim man mistaken for a terrorist in post-9/11 America.
The incident caused outrage in his homeland, where the Khan-troversy dominated television news.
- Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan reveals the cricketer he wants to play on screen
- Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan faces threat at Hockey World Cup
- Hero or Zero? Bollywood's Shah Rukh Khan seeks hit as dwarf
- 'Zero' box-office collection Day 12: Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif starrer shows some growth
- 'Zero' box office collection day 11: The Shah Rukh Khan starrer helmed by Aanand L. Rai collects Rs 80 lakh on Monday
- Shah Rukh Khan’s candid confession on son Aryan Khan’s acting plans might leave you disappointed!
- Shah Rukh Khan gets nostalgic after watching a Parisian fan sing DDLJ song 'Tujhe Dekha Toh'
- Shah Rukh Khan to play a never seen before ‘hot-headed’ hero in Atlee’s Sanki?
- Salman Khan puts up an epic reaction to Shah Rukh Khan saving Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's manager from fire mishap
- Bollywood comes to Melbourne as Shah Rukh Khan given honorary doctorate