My son’s been taking karate for 4 years, and every time he tests for the next rank (he’s up to his brown now), fewer kids who started with him as white belts test alongside him. It’s not that Matt’s necessarily a better athlete than they are, but karate is more important to him. He likes learning the forms, and he enjoys surviving a two hour, physically grueling test knowing that most of his friends would have been flattened in the first 20 minutes. When aspiring writers start identifying themselves as authors, just as Matt sees himself as a martial artist, they’ve taken that first big step toward success.But there’s a difference between wanting to see your name on a book, and wanting a career as a children’s book author. Anyone with a few bucks can publish their own story, and many books are perfectly suited to be self-published titles given to family and friends. The career mentality, however, is more complex. Check out some common characteristics below and see how you measure up:Humility: When I get emails from people saying, “I’m going to be the next Dr. Seuss,” I cringe. Confidence is fine, but don’t compare yourself to someone like… Read full this story
- Publishers are paying writers a pittance, say bestselling authors
- 'I can get any novel I want in 30 seconds': can book piracy be stopped?
- Authors boycott UAE book festival over Matthew Hedges jailing
- Food writing moves from kitchen to bookshelf
- How David Walliams’ gloriously politically incorrect books made him Britain’s best selling author – and £16m last year
- A Bite of the Apple by Lennie Goodings – essential literary memoir
- Leïla Slimani: ‘This book is a mirror to make the elite look reality in the face’
- Australian author Ken Spillman on writing for children
- British Book awards balance art and selling power to decide best writer in 30 years
- Half term boredom breakers: Toys and games for under £20 that will keep your children entertained during the school holidays
Writing Essentials - The 4 Traits of Successful Children's Book Writers have 332 words, post on ezinearticles.com at April 21, 2009. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.