Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful. Right? Well, not exactly.Okay, Thanksgiving is a time to have reenactments of the Pilgrims at the first thanksgiving in Plymouth Colony in 1621. Right? Actually, no, the harvest festival of the Pilgrims was in gratitude for the less than fifty-percent who survived the first winter in a new land. Those that survived did so chiefly because of the compassion of the Native-Americans. The celebration of the Pilgrim’s feast of thanksgiving came later. It most definitely was not the reason for our current holiday. Okay, okay, Thanksgiving was a holiday started after some war, probably World War One or Two. Right? Almost right. It was a war, our first as a nation. On October 11, 1782, mere months before the end of the American Revolution, the Continental Congress issued a proclamation for a day of giving thanks. The Congress expressed in their document that they were mindful of God’s hand on their behalf in the war of independence from monarchial rule. The establishment of a nation of self-ruled individuals was, indeed, cause for gratitude. The Congress chose November 28, 1782 as the date. Congress recommended that all thirteen states… Read full this story
- How many days will your Thanksgiving leftovers last?
- Don’t mess with the turkey, pal: In Thanksgiving traditions we find one of life’s few constants
- Chef Eugene Flinn of Amanda’s restaurant in Hoboken preps Thanksgiving feast for Macy’s parade staff
- Sagging economy means scaled-back Thanksgiving dinner for many Americans
- Amanda Knox expects to be freed by Thanksgiving, predicts she'll be cleared of murder in appeal
- Zuccotti Park protesters hold Thanksgiving dinner
- POTS chief Jack Marth calls this Thanksgiving special for multi-service group
- Sunday Morning QB: Detroit Lions, who play Bears on Monday night, could give us a Thanksgiving treat
- NY Knicks' Carmelo Anthony thinks NBA season will be played, and he and Amar'e Stoudemire will win
- Readers sound off on Thanksgiving and the Transport Workers Union
Thanksgiving is Not What You Think - It's More have 325 words, post on ezinearticles.com at November 22, 2008. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.