“This is the Sorcerer and his Apprentice,” Pecora said of his duo.
And yesterday the pair was indeed magical as Agudio, on the cusp of becoming Hofstra’s all-time leading scorer, tallied 24 points while Jenkins outdid him with 28 as the Pride rolled to an 81-63 victory over Iona in New Rochelle.
“Antoine is going through this process of becoming the all-time leading scorer at our school,” Pecora said. “It’s history. But every time we talk, it’s about winning. It’s not about points.”
Agudio, who entered the game needing 34 points to top the record of 2,222 set by Steve Nisenson (who did it in only three seasons, as freshmen were not allowed to play in the early 1960s), started slowly in the first half when he logged just 12 points. But while Iona concentrated on Agudio, Jenkins took over, scoring 18 of his points in the first half.
“My teammates are getting better each game,” said Agudio, who pulled within 10 points of owning the Hofstra scoring record. “Charles played very well and he keeps getting better. And guys like Darren (Townes, 10 points, nine rebounds) and Dane (Johnson) are scoring in the paint now. Now when teams key on me they have to worry about these guys, too.”
After holding a 44-31 lead at intermission, Hofstra (11-16) built leads as large as 22 points with just under 9:00 to play. The Gaels (11-18), who were led by Dexter Gray and Gary Springer, who each scored 17 points, never got closer than 14 the rest of the way.
“We were focused on stopping Agudio and Jenkins because they contribute 60% of their scoring,” Springer said. “And that’s something we didn’t do. Those are the main guys who killed us.”
While Hofstra now has won five of seven games in February, Iona coach Kevin Willard was less than pleased with his team’s performance.
“This is actually the first time I thought we didn’t really bring great effort,” Willard said. “We played terrible. This is the first week we had bad practices and it showed. But we have to give Hofstra credit because they played tremendous.”
- USA dominate Ryder Cup opening day and open up 6-2 lead as Rory McIlroy has a nightmare at Whistling Straits
- Arizona’s Jill Aguilera leads Arizona past Nebraska with 3-2 win
- With MS Dhoni and Rohit Sharma by the side, Virat Kohli seems more comfortable leading team India
- Ryder Cup 2020: Sergio Garcia and Jon Rahm win point before Team USA grab 3-1 lead in foursomes
- Ryder Cup 2020: Team USA closing on victory after taking 11-5 advantage into Sunday singles
- Stafford leads LA Rams past Bears 34-14 in dynamic debut
- Stafford Leads LA Rams Past Bears 34-14 In Dynamic Debut
- Italian Grand Prix RECAP: Ricciardo takes victory as Hamilton and Verstappen crash out
- Palou fights from back to win and retake points lead at Portland · RaceFans
- IPL 2021 Points Table: Delhi Capitals Claim No.1 Spot After Win Over Punjab; Dhawan Swells Lead in Orange Cap Tally
- Victory as EU insiders plan emergency customs U-turn - 'Not UK's problem!'
- Vinícius Júnior, Benzema lead Madrid to 2-1 win at Valencia
- 2021 Ryder Cup results, scores, standings: United States dominates with largest Day 1 lead since 1975
- Greece WRC: Rovanpera leads, Evans and Neuville suffer dramas
- Comedy Bang! Bang! celebrates 500 episodes with a victory lap of its best and brightest
- Team Europe sweeps all four Saturday matches to open up 11-1 lead in Laver Cup
- Tom Brady notches 100th career 300-yard passing game, leads Buccaneers to comeback victory over Cowboys
- Lamar Jackson finally leads Ravens over Chiefs 36-35
- White House one step closer to a bipartisan victory with prison reform bill advancement
- South Africa secure late series victory after beating Lions in Cape Town
Dynamic duo leads Hofstra to victory have 627 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at February 24, 2008. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.