One of Bollywood’s biggest releases of the year, Dhoom 3, is closing out 2013 with a blast, living up to the meaning of its name in Hindi. The third installment of the high-octane action franchise from veteran Bollywood banner Yash Raj Films crossed the 1 billion rupee ($16.7 million) mark in India during its opening weekend following its Dec. 20 worldwide release. According to YRF, Dhoom 3 has grossed 1.07 billion rupees, said to be a new record for an opening weekend in India.Dhoom 3 cleared $10.17 million during its opening weekend, making it the biggest opening ever for any Bollywood film abroad. The film’s total worldwide box office stands at $28.11 million, as per figures released late Monday by YRF. Given the film’s timing during the holiday season and with no major competing film opening this week, Dhoom 3 is expected to maintain its strong run well into the new year.
PHOTOS: Indian Talent Going GlobalDhoom 3 collected $ 1.45 million, which YRF claims is the highest non-festival/holiday opening ever on a three-day weekend for a Bollywood title.
The film also set opening records for an Indian film in Australia, grossing $765,360.
Most notably, Dhoom 3 managed to release in Pakistan despite that country’s recent ban against Indian films and TV content following a court order. In Pakistan, Dhoom 3 set a record for the highest opening ever for any film, with a gross of $630,500.
In the United Arab Emirates and other markets in the region, the film touched $2.8 million.
STORY: Box Office: ‘Dhoom 3’ Early Global Hit, Eyeing $25 Million-Plus OpeningVijay Krishna Acharya’s story follows the exploits of a pair of Indian buddy cops (Abhishek Bachchan, Uday Chopra), although the main spotlight falls on superstar Aamir Khan (Lagaan, Talaash) in a flashy turn as Sahir, a modern acrobat and illusionist working in Chicago. He is joined by the seductive Aliya (actress Katrina Kaif).
- Incredibles 2 Smashes Animation Box Office Record in North America
- 'Race 3' sets opening days box office record in Pak
- What We Can Learn From the 7 Biggest Box Office Opening Weekends of 2018 so Far
- 3 Blockbuster Sequels That Won’t Measure Up to the Originals at the Box Office
- ‘Mission: Impossible—Fallout’ Box Office Prediction: All the Money or Just Some?
- Race 3 Box Office collection day 2: Big record! Salman Khan proves why he is ‘Sultan’ of Bollywood, again
- 6 Upcoming Blockbusters That Could Be Huge Bombs at the Box Office
- Big, mean and making the green: 'Jurassic' tops N. America box office
- Race 3 Box Office Collection Day 8: Salman Khan film continues to rule box-office in second week
- The women of 'Ocean's 8' steal a big lead at the box office